August 29, 2009

Espaliered?


I always have a green apple on my desk (with the best of intentions of making it my afternoon snack, but chocolate always wins) and the other day a co-worker walked by and showed me her green apple from her espaliered apple tree. Of course I had to Google the definition:

Espalier, the art of cultivating a tree on a flat surface, is an ideal way of growing fruit trees in small spaces. You can espalier on walls, fences or even on freestanding structures. A freestanding espalier can be placed to divide the garden or can form a backdrop to the vegetable garden. Apples and pears are ideal for espalier but you can also espalier figs, cherries, apricots, plums, almonds and citrus.


They're so fun and beautiful! So, now I'm adding an espaliered apple tree to my list of plants to have in my dream garden. Just in case you want to know, here's the rest of the list (I make lists. I know, I'm lame, but how else will I remember? Or look back and laugh?):
Orange Poppies, Green or White Hydrangea, Bright Green & Purple Sweet Potato Vine, Naked Ladies, Irises (preferably dark purple, yellow or white), Lilies, Peonies, Mums, Tomatoes, Peppers, Asparagus, Spinach, Lettuce, Red Potatoes, Onions, Cucumbers, Strawberries, Basil, Parsley, Dill Weed, Oregano, Rosemary

2 comments:

Lenexicon said...

I don't think there is any question - you are a woman who needs to own a home!

Steph A said...

I wanted to let you know that i just started using one of your wallpapers. I'm not sure if it's technically #8 or #9, but it's "Design: intelligence made visual." So, thanks. :)