November 1, 2011

Halloween Hoot

After I moved apartments this summer, I realized how much crap I have. I'm really not a sentimental person and I clean out my closet every month or so, donating extra clothes and such. But still, I seemed to have collected more than I actually need. Particularly in the craft department. I have multiple chests dedicated to fabric and paper and other craft supplies. I would say I only have a 50% success rate of actually finishing projects that I start. So it has been my goal to start whittling down my collections prior to buying new materials for new projects.

Image from Alphamom found via Pinterest

This Halloween turned out to be no exception. I saw this little girl in costume on Pinterest months back and hoped that I could only be half as cute as her. I really wanted to be a grey owl, like my inspiration pic. But with four days to the big party and being too lazy to go to the craft store for supplies, I decided to go through my closet. Low and behold I found oodles of fabric that could be used for said costume. Instead of being a gray barn owl, I decided to be a lovely, lovely snowy owl. And I used up fabric that has been sitting in my closet for years, waiting patiently to be made into place mats. (Honestly, if I dug a little deeper, I think I could've been a grey owl, but I'm rather happy with this combination, no?)

 

I even added wings to the costume after my friend Katie shared some lovely inspiration via Natty's Birds of a Feather Costumes on BurdaStyle.



As a side note, this is what I made for Halloween Dinner... Rosemary Lemon Chicken with Roasted Purple Potatoes and Roasted Okra and Garlic. The okra was awesome... the others were ok, but I thought the colors were fun for Halloween.

1 comment:

chimes said...

ooooh I looooove okra. It's one of my favorite things ever. And it's hard to find good okra around here.