February 20, 2012

Who am I according to Target?

THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
I wonder what my Target Guest ID number
would say about me.

Over Christmas I read Brandwashed by Martin Lindstrom and learned more and more about the data mining that companies do to target their marketing and advertising to your specific desires/needs/wants. With the recent article How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did, it brought to light just how much companies know about us, probably better than we know ourselves. Through grad school and working in the corporate world I've taken all kind of tests that give me predictors of my personality and whatnot. I thought I knew myself pretty well, but as a very wise person stated, I answer those questions based on how I perceive myself, not necessarily how I actually am.

I would love, love, love to see how Target (or any other company that has extensive and intelligent data mining models) view me. Am I as frugal and cost-conscientious as I perceive myself to be? Do I appear green or am I just kidding myself? What prediction scores do I fall into? Lonely, single female that buys too much chocolate?

Just a note, I don't think data mining is all bad. If you're going to advertise to me, please take the time to get to know me and make sure you're trying to sell me the right stuff. After all, it's all about me, the consumer, right? I live in an apartment, I don't want lawnmower ads. I'm not all that interested in team sports. Really, I couldn't care less about team sports. If I never have to see a ad or coupon for some crappy ISU branded tailgating gear again, I'd be OK with that (sorry ISU). And no, I am not pregnant. I don't need diaper or formula coupons thankyouverymuch.

No comments: