April 2, 2008

Crustless Quiche with Veggies

Last summer I was on the South Beach diet, which worked really well for me... last summer. I think I was somewhat brainwashed about eating too many carbs, especially eating them in the morning. Although I can say that when I eat a good-portioned, low-carb breakfast I am less hungry when lunch time comes around.

Anyway... I like to make a breakfast quiche or casserole of sorts on Monday mornings to last me through the week, so I have something warm, tasty, and quick to eat in the rushed mornings. I usually make the quiche on Sunday night and put it in the oven before I get into the shower on Monday morning, by the time I am ready for breakfast it is cooked perfectly!

I finally came up with the following recipe low-carb recipe. I like to change up the protein, veggies and cheese from time to time, like turkey bacon, broccoli, peppers, & cheddar (listed below); turkey, asparagus & swiss; crab, mushroom & feta, etc. I have also listed the nutrition facts below, I am actually a little disappointed in them... the first time I had calculated the totals, it was much less in total fat & cholesterol, but still not too bad compared to the standard quiche or breakfast casserole.

CRUSTLESS QUICHE WITH VEGGIES

Ingredients:
2 eggs
6 egg whites
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/6 lb. turkey bacon, cooked & chopped
1/2 cup frozen broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Beat the eggs and egg whites, mix in all ingredients.
2. Spread into a shallow baking dish (about 7x11").
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Makes 6 servings.

No comments: