April 2, 2008

House Hunting

I officially started the house hunting process a couple months ago. I have been constantly searching the web and even went to a couple open houses to see what I could get for my money and understand the realtor, emotional process. But atlas, I have decided that the actual purchasing of a home needs to be postponed for at least a year or two and I have signed another year lease for my current apartment. My current apartment is really working out well and I have finally got to the point where I can say that I really don't need anything else, which is allowing me to save a lot for when the time does come to purchase my first home.

I have been using several websites for research. Zillow.com is by far my favorite, which has provided a great source of information (although my parents tell me I can't completely trust it). Zillow uses Google Maps to plot houses for sale by owner and realtor, showing photos and a plethora of other useful information. In Missouri, it provides zestimates of the value of the home in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years and compares those results to the estimated values of the zip code, city and state; I have found this tool extremely interesting. Probably one of the most convenient tools is the street map that shows the appraised value of the home compared to all of the homes in that neighborhood (even the homes not for sale)!  How amazing is that, it does all of the detailed research for you!

While my purchase of a home has been delayed at least a year yet, I will still continue my search for the perfect starter home. I am thinking The Legends area maybe the newest, up & coming location in the KC area....

1 comment:

Niki Brown said...

only nerds use the internets to find houses