June 11, 2008

Oh, so green!

I feel so green right now. My roommate and I have always felt bad that we didn't recycle, but honestly living in an apartment in Kansas City we didn't really know how. Finally after one year in our apartment and deciding to renew our lease for another 12 months, I decided it was time and I think I found the correct drop off location for North KC.
I priced different trash and recycling bins at The Container Store, Ikea, and Target. Of course I got the best bang for my buck at Target, so I purchased three trash bins; one for plastic, one for tin, and one for glass. I downloaded the Martha Stewart recycling icons for each of the bins to make them a bit cuter and more cheerful. The plastic bin filled up the quickest and started spilling over. I decided it was high time that we further the process and actually turn in all of our recyclable waste. I even cleaned out our plastic shopping bag stockpile to recycle. It disgusted me... this isn't the first time that I have disposed of our excess baggage during the year, even more reason to use my reusable shopping bag!
So tonight is the night! My car is all packed and ready to go so I can't make excuses. I also have two big boxes full of clothes we are donating to Goodwill loaded and ready to go.

Additionally, yesterday was the Crown Center bi-monthly farmer's market. I bought strawberries, oranges, green apples, red potatoes, red onions, and delicious, salmonella-free tomatoes! Everything is delicious, I even made a HUGE meal last night to use as much produce as possible: BLT with flavorful tomatoes, creamed new potatoes and peas, and a spinach salad with a homemade strawberry vinaigrette. I feel so green for shopping locally and I get the benefit of enhanced flavor!

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. I covered them all... now if I could only get the shorter shower thing down...

No comments: