April 27, 2009

Start of No TV week


Illustration by hberends

Today marks the first full week of my 24th year of life... I had a great weekend to celebrate, spending my entire weekend with one great friend and hanging out with several others. I've been reading the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and it seems that her self-exploration to find peace withing herself has rubbed off on me.
I am having the time of my life right now; meeting new people, working out and strenghtening my body, gardening, and reading. I think I've finally found a healthy balance for my life, being social and meeting people, work, and time for personal reflection and growth. Most of my life, I have put too much importance on the "work" part of my life. I'm always saying, "I'm too busy" and after examining my life, there are too many times when I could be more productive and work on the projects that I really want to work on versus going the easy route in sitting myself in front of the boob-tube.

So I'm declaring this as my "NO TV WEEK."

I typically have the thing on for background noise, but really it's more of a distraction... why do I need to add another layer of "noise" to my life? My roommate and I will often watch TV together, but when she asks me a quetion about what just happened I have no clue... because I'm not even paying attention! So this week I will be TV-free, I'm not even going to turn it on for the alluring comfort of background noise. We'll see how long this thing actually lasts...

No comments: