May 26, 2009

Flashback to childhood


I lived in the same house for 21 years of my life. About 3 years ago, when I was a senior in college and my parents were about to be empty nesters, they up and moved about a mile a way to a house with almost twice the square footage. Why they need a house that size is baffling to me... I sure hope they're not waiting on grandbabies, because I don't think there's going to be any to speak of any time soon! Anyway, I digress...
I have many fond memories of our old house, but there are really two things that I miss the most: the peonies and the asparagus patch. Apparently, my brother liked the sabbotage our asparagus crop and run over the patch with the lawnmower... now he's succomed the great taste and even buys asparagus for himself on occasion. But the peonies were always there around Memorial Day, blooming so beautifully and happily outside my bedroom window.
Last week one of my co-workers brought in some gorgeous pink and white peonies and I was forunate enough to get a couple of blossoms to enjoy. So thanks, Cindy for the gorgeous flowers and reminding me of the beautiful, fragrant flowers of my childhood. Now if anyone has any extra aspargus, you know where you can make donations...

On another note, in this journey back to my childhood I've also realized I need to stop making such definitive declorations on my personal color preferences... I actually do like pink flowers, contrary to what I've said recently. I've had this fickle color preference for years... when I was younger my room was an off-white color and I was adamant that everyone needed white walls, not cream colored walls, but white. So we painted three of my walls white and the 4th was a two-toned stripe pattern, in "Purple Ice" and a periwinkle. A couple years later, I was on this kick that every wall needed drama and lots of color, no wall should every be left white. I painted my walls a medium green color, probably a little too overpowering for my small room. Now I'm finding myself attracted to the whites again. In a couple of years, you'll probably find me only wearing pink...

No comments: