August 31, 2011

The coffee table, Part 2

Clearly, the original coffee table idea (you know, reclaimed wood with hairpin legs) is not original to me and others can replicate it easily, too easily... it would've been original to my acquaintances, but someone swooped in and made one before I had the chance (from my own sought-after reclaimed lumber store, no less). Just glad I wasn't mid-process so we wouldn't end up with the same coffee table... I mean, how embarrassing. So, I'm over it. So. Over. It.

Right now I'm using my TV stand from college that I reupholstered as a foot rest and temporary coffee table. It's nice, it rolls. I like this characteristic. I can roll it out of the way as I attempt to do my personal training routine in the middle of my tiny apartment. I think this easily moveable characteristic should be a mandatory in the final design solution, which probably rules out what I'd really, really like, which is vintage metal flat files.

 Tad Carpenter's house (in KC!) via Design*Sponge

 Kirra Jamison's house via Design*Sponge

Can we just take a moment here and pause to reflect on the beauty and awesome functionality of vintage metal flat files. (of course picturing a flatter stack to be used for a coffee table) Ahhh....

Maybe tomorrow I'll come accross a super cheap and low set of vintage flat files that I can fasten heavy-duty casters to! Until then, it's back to the drawing board for me... any suggestions?

No comments: