June 3, 2012

Blueberry Rosemary Scones

Blueberry + Rosemary = Heavenly

Kids, this may be one of the best things I've ever made. Melt in your mouth awesome.

I've been buying blueberries in multiples every time I go to the grocery because they're so fresh and delightful this time of year. Usually, I just wash them and freeze on a cookie sheet to put into my morning oatmeal later in the week/month; that is if I can stop popping the treasures into my mouth to actual freeze. This past week I found a blueberry scone recipe from La Petite Brioche and immediately wanted to make it, but I didn't get around to it until today. But I added fresh rosemary from my garden to make it a bit more fancy-pants.


Blueberry Rosemary Scones
Adapted from La Petite Brioche

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (I would use more next time, maybe close to 2 Tbsp)
1 stick cold unsalted butter, grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream (I don't keep heavy cream, so I melted 1/3 c butter with 3/4 c almond milk and 1 Tbsp flour; which yields 1 cup of cream)
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I would use close to 1 1/2 cups next time)
extra heavy cream for brushing the tops
raw sugar for sprinkling the tops

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed (I used the dough hook for my food processor). Combine the egg and heavy cream, flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy.  Add the blueberries and cut rosemary to the dough, gently mix by hand.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn't stick.

Shape the dough into a square. Cut the square into quarters then cut again into eighths, diagonally, making triangles. Brush the tops of the scones with heavy creme, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked. The scones will be firm to the touch.

This may be my next go-to baked good for potlucks and events. Seriously, give it a try. Just ignore how much butter you're using, like i did...

No comments: